What is Citizenship?
Citizenship is defined as a state of being a citizen, notably of a particular country, with all the rights and privileges associated. If you hold a country’s citizenship rights, you are legally considered to be a citizen of that country. A person may rightly be called Nigerian Citizenship in this sense, in which case he is a Nigerian citizen.
A citizen is a legally recognized member of a state who enjoys fundamental constitutional rights in the nation where he or she resides.
A citizen is thus a person who is born into or awarded full rights as a resident of a country. A citizen is synonymous with a national. That is, an individual can be classified as a Nigerian citizen or a Nigerian national. If he is entitled to the benefits accorded to all Nigerian citizens by the Nigerian state.
What Does Civic Education Mean?
Citizenship Education is the process of imparting knowledge and skills to individuals in order to develop them into responsible citizens.
Additionally, Citizenship education can refer to the process of educating citizens on their rights, privileges, and duties. It could also refer to the type of education provided to a country’s residents with the goal of developing them into responsible individuals in the community who are devoted to society’s meaningful growth.
Citizenship education can also be defined as the form of education that inculcates acceptable values, attitudes, abilities, and knowledge in individuals in order for them to be actively involved in their group’s activities or operate effectively as good citizens.
Citizenship Education’s Objectives Or Justifications For Effective Citizenship Education in Nigeria
- To develop good government by raising citizens’ political consciousness.
- To educate citizens about their responsibilities and rights as citizens.
- To instil democratic values in the lives of our community members, including the process of selecting and changing the country’s leadership.
- To foster ethical education and disciplined behaviour among students.
- To encourage a balanced education that includes academic competency, political and social awareness, and a healthy lifestyle.
- To ensure the development of responsible, knowledgeable, self-sufficient, and ethical citizens.
- To assist students in appreciating the Nigerian societal values.
- To create awareness for Nigerian society’s social problems in order to propose solutions.
- Promote national integration.
- Empower youth to undertake future leadership responsibilities.
- Instil in youths a strong moral standard necessary for the country’s development.